[Steppes] THANKS! Fabric dyeing - Cheesecloth

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 07:03:48 PDT 2004

Thank you all for the suggestions!  I used a combination of several ideas.

First of all, the cheesecloth was so white, that I gave it a tea bath first.  I
tried my sample, liked it, and went ahead with the pearl grey dye bath
according to the instructions.  I put in the entire 8 yds of fabric, but I put
about 5 knots in it.  Jon liked the way it came out because the tye-dye effect
made it look like water marks from the coffin (shudder).  The greatest tool I
found to distress it was a serrated(?) knife.  Not only can you put nice holes
in it, but you can scrape it across the fabric and make fabulous runs!  I,
then, tattered the selvages and the ends so it wouldn't have any straight
lines.  Then I took an old rusty bolt and swiped it across here and there.  It
looks great.  Even Jon, the special FX expert, complimented me on it!

By the way, I found the 36 inch wide cheesecloth on sale at Joanne's for
.49/yd.  Can't beat that!!

The Halloween Party invitation will be on the Steppes List soon.  Hope you all
get to come!!!  Then you can see the uses of the shroud ;)  .

Thank you all again!
HL Gabrielle