[Steppes] Frederich's Boxes

Gerita/Carolle Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Mon Oct 25 07:41:38 PDT 2004

HL Lete wrote asking how to get letters to those who have not received
any from home.  I send the instructions to the list so that all may
benefit from the information:

Write a letter.  Either use "any soldier" as the salutation, or put it
in an envelope labelled "any soldier".  I put all of these notes into
the boxes.  The two people to whom I address the boxes are simply
"contacts" within the unit because sending a box to a nameless "any
soldier" gets it carefully blown up by the ordnance units.  These
'contacts' then distribute the box contents to their units, based on who
hasn't had a letter or box recently (from their own families), or who
has a need for the items in the box (female supplies, etc).

I never hear from SPC Cunningham.  He's the contact for a very large
(100 soldier)and frantically busy Engineering unit.  SPC Brown writes
every few weeks.  She's the contact for a unit of 8 signal corpsmen. At
least we know that the units make use of every scrap sent in those
boxes!

In service,
Gerita the box-mailer.  Who's gonna fill them??

People are like stained glass windows.  They sparkle and shine when the
sun is out, but when darkness sets in, their beauty is revealed only if
there is a light from within. -- Elizabeth Kübler-Ross