[Steppes] Elfsea -- our noble allies for a quarter of a century

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Mon Nov 8 17:27:18 PST 2004

Elfsea and Steppes have pledged to treat each other with honor, over and
over for the last twenty five years.

And mostly, we have done so.  Both groups, and most people in each group,
have offered the other grand gestures of honor, glory, cameraderie and
consideration, over many, many years.  People of the Steppes have been, and
have been honored to have been, Elfsea Defenders, Elfsea Bards, and Elfsea
Artisans.  People of Elfsea have been, and have been honored to have been,
Steppes Warlords, Steppes Bards, and Steppes Artisans.  The current Steppes
Warlord is from Elfsea.  The current Elfsea Bard is from the Steppes.  In
1989, when the Steppes went to War, Elfsea was the first group to pledge
their support.

Yes, every once in awhile one or two people get annoyed and try to turn it
into a Steppes vs. Elfsea thing, but it never works.  Most people realize
that it's just one or two people, and that the two groups are close friends
and allies.

I remember minor problems that came up in 2002, the mid 1990s, 1991, 1987,
1982, and 1979, and several that I can't remember the date.  But all of us
who attended the regional fighter practice in Steppes yesterday, and the one
in Elfsea last month know that we are tied together with bonds of honor, and
that we're just plain fun to play with.

People from both groups have worked on every Elfsea or Steppes event in the
last quarter century.  We will guard their backs; they will guard ours.  I,
a Steppes fighter, have led the Elfsea army into battle at Gulf War.  The
Elfsea warriors defended us at the Mustache War.

Problems will still come up, and will be dealt with.  But let's please
remember that when you get annoyed, it's with individuals, not with entire
groups.  Groups can't do anything as groups.  Steppes can't insult Elfsea,
and Elfsea can't offend the Steppes.  Only individual people can do that.
The groups remain friends, even when a few people in each group make
mistakes.

So, as a former Baron of the Steppes, Steppes Bard, and Captain of the
Steppes baronial guard, I say, "Vivat Elfsea!"

And as a former Elfsea Defender and member of the Elfsea baronial guard, and
current Bard of Elfsea, I say, "Vivat Steppes!"

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin