[Steppes] Joint War Practice - Elfsea/Steppes - 12-05-2004

Greg Shetler mordockvonrugen at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 13:26:29 PST 2004

Dang.  Sounds like I missed a good practice.  Mud (or slippery ground) and I
don't get along, and rain is almost a guarantee that I'll get sick, so I
gave this one a pass.  I'm glad it cleared up, and envy y'all who were
there.

(extract from post)

1. Do you know how to defend against a flanking maneuver?

 If you do not, then you missed the opportunity to learn how. The end

individual is responsible in staying with the flankers and remaining

alive. Lead these flankers away from your unit, while remaining just in

sword reach of the flankers. The flankers must deal with this defender

or else turn their backs on him or them, which places them between two

groups of fighters.  The main objective here is for the defender to

actually draw the flanker(s) away with them into the "bushes", thus

removing them from the actually main battle. The main unit can them deal

with what is facing them or if there is no unit threating actually go to

help the defender who has lead the flankers away if necessary.

(end of extract)

I'm sure y'all talked over the fact that you have to be careful if you're
that end guy splitting off, because if there are more than one flanker
they'll likely jump you as soon as you get a little ways away from support.
but of course, that doesn't mean you should let them run around you just so
you can stay in support range.  Tough job.

I'm sure you guys also talked about when you're a flanker and somebody peels
off, to jump them as soon as they get a ways away from the unit, so they
don't keep you "stringing along" for too long.

There are other ways to defend against flanking maneuvers in addition to
this, but this is the most common and easiest to practice.  Sounds like
y'all had a lot of fun practicing how to frustrate our foes :D