[Steppes] OT riding the rails to DFW 2

mikaelc mikaelc at airmail.net
Thu Dec 16 16:43:53 PST 2004

Getting to DFW Airport from the Garland DART station;

Board the train (Blue Line, I believe - it's the only one that goes to
Garland), and ride it to Union Station. De-train, and board the Trinity
Express heading for Ft. Worth. Take that train to the CentrePoint
station, and transfer there to a shuttlebus which will take you to the
Airport proper.

Time-consuming? Yes, it will take more time than if you drive direct to
your terminal.

Cost? A DART day-pass is $4.00 per person. That is good for both DART
and Trinity Express trains. Lessee ... two people, $8.00 total - I bet
you'd spend more than that just on gas to drive there.

Amenities on-board? The DART light-rail trains do not have any restroom
facilities on-board, and I don't think the Trinity Express does either.
There are restrooms open to the public at Union Station (which gives one
an excuse to go inside and look at some wonderful, old architecture).
Both DART and Trinity Express trains are equipped to handle wheelchair
passengers, as is the shuttle bus to the airport.

Sights to see? Depends on how much of a train buff you are. From Garland
to the Mockingbird station, the DART rail line follows the route of the
Katy's Texas Special passenger train. From Mockingbird Station to
downtown, you ride in Dallas' first (and so far only) subway. The
Trinity Express follows the route of the Burlington Zephyr out of Dallas
towards Ft. Worth. There are sights to see along the way you cannot see
from a car or sidewalk. Most of all, though, you can sit back and relax
and let someone else do all the driving for you.

Mikael Colquhoun
(Who really, really likes trains)