[Steppes] OT riding the rails to DFW 2

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 05:57:50 PST 2004

To tell you the truth, Chiard, it looks like a lot more trouble than its worth
to take the trains, no bathrooms en route, and has the question been answered
about getting the wheelchair onto the train?  I haven't noticed one myself and
I go to the State Fair on the DART rail/shuttlebus every year.  Also, consider
having to transfer from one train to another, then having to transfer to a
shuttlebus to the station.  Does the shuttlebus have handicap access?  You are
going to have enough trouble getting past the gate I would think.  Sounds a bit
formidable to me.  Sorry.

Gab
--- mikaelc <mikaelc at airmail.net> wrote:

> Getting to DFW Airport from the Garland DART station;
>
> Board the train (Blue Line, I believe - it's the only one that goes to
> Garland), and ride it to Union Station. De-train, and board the Trinity
> Express heading for Ft. Worth. Take that train to the CentrePoint
> station, and transfer there to a shuttlebus which will take you to the
> Airport proper.
>
> Time-consuming? Yes, it will take more time than if you drive direct to
> your terminal.
>
> Cost? A DART day-pass is $4.00 per person. That is good for both DART
> and Trinity Express trains. Lessee ... two people, $8.00 total - I bet
> you'd spend more than that just on gas to drive there.
>
> Amenities on-board? The DART light-rail trains do not have any restroom
> facilities on-board, and I don't think the Trinity Express does either.
> There are restrooms open to the public at Union Station (which gives one
> an excuse to go inside and look at some wonderful, old architecture).
> Both DART and Trinity Express trains are equipped to handle wheelchair
> passengers, as is the shuttle bus to the airport.
>
> Sights to see? Depends on how much of a train buff you are. From Garland
> to the Mockingbird station, the DART rail line follows the route of the
> Katy's Texas Special passenger train. From Mockingbird Station to
> downtown, you ride in Dallas' first (and so far only) subway. The
> Trinity Express follows the route of the Burlington Zephyr out of Dallas
> towards Ft. Worth. There are sights to see along the way you cannot see
> from a car or sidewalk. Most of all, though, you can sit back and relax
> and let someone else do all the driving for you.
>

> Mikael Colquhoun
> (Who really, really likes trains)

=====

HL Gabrielle Honorée de Saint Pierre

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, 1998.