[Steppes] Fwd: [Ansteorra] Youthful Combatants

Chiara chiara at io.com
Fri Dec 31 10:44:39 PST 2004

Nothing like that is going to occur. If you go to the Knight Marshal himself
and ask him how the process is going to work he will tell you that in the
past meetings (of which I attended one of) it was very prominently brought
up that unless the 'Duke' is cleared to marshal and fight officially with
the kid they are not allowed to do so. The kids are also going to be
visually caring something prominently to identify them as underage. You have
been to gulf wars, you must have noticed this when the kids from other
kingdoms that have been allowing youth fighters are out there fighting by
their parent's side in the war.

I too had the unfortunate luck to have to deal with cps, and it was here in
Texas, they make it clear that something like what we are going to do in the
SCA does not fall under one of the reasons they get called over for. It is
considered a sport. Sports do not fall under the same scrutiny, especially
in Texas. She seems rather lite about it when she told me this. She
mentioned that in other sports in Texas parental supervision like what we
are requiring is not required in those others.

But we do have a member of Advocacy here on the list. I am certain that she
will chime in with her opinion on the subject as well.

I am confident after just the one meeting I attended that it will be handled
well with strict rules and regulations, and most of all under the microscope
of many many many parents. If the parent has no intention of allowing their
child to do this all they need to do is not attend. The marshals will then
follow suit and not allow the kid to fight. We are one of the last kingdom
in the known world to do this. If the years of them doing it in other states
has not fallen apart why would it here?