[Steppes] Mailing list status

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:21:15 PDT 2005

You put that all so nicely, and I will make sure to get that gentleman from
An Tir in touch with you.
I always enjoy reading another persons opinon especially when it is so well
expressed and written, it always really makes a person think about where
their views came from and why :)

Oh to be only on a couple lists, sometimes tho, multiples can't be avoided,
we cross post laurel to pelican list all the time because many of us are
both, and with things like shared baronial practices, cross posting has to
happen too.

For someone like me, who has household and apprentices and proteges and
husband's squires all doing 10 directions, multi lists are a fact of life.
After all they created all this for ease of communication yes? (laugh)
Before email we did all this by phone, letters and news letters, and local
meetings were probably busier because you couldnt read the meeting notes
online.

I know that one of the things I enjoy about our local list is it gives me a
chance to see how people interact with others in the community as well as
officers, so when their name comes across in the avenues I get consulted on
as a  peer, I can have an idea of how much they put forth for the local
community, and the cool stuff they are doing, even if I havent been able to
always attend.    Especially since we travel hundreds of miles sometimes for
gatherings, it is nice to be able to see what ways our local area is
contributing to our recreation of the current middle ages.  So I try to
focus on all the positives of the vast email pile that wanders daily though
my inbox.  It is also very cool to be able to say to a friend laurel/pelican
hey, I saw your apprentice/protege doing all this neat stuff for say
newcomers, stuff you might not normally see except for a local list.  So
even though it can be tedious, it is a great and wonderful tool to learn
about the people involved in the list.

it is also really cool to be able to say to a newcomer, hey I saw Lord XXX
talking about an advanced archery practice, or Lady XXX talking about a
beginners hand sewing class on the Baronial list and help hook them up.

This is the stuff that even tho doesn't apply to most of us all the time,
catches our eyes and helps us to help another member of the sca.

So while some may be saying hooray less mail, to me I wonder how many others
have to stop, back up, cut and paste or don't notice at all.

I have noticed on a side note, that over the last 3 weeks a ton of new
elists have sprung up from the steppes area, I got emailed and invited to
several specific target discussion groups that would normally be posted
across our baronial list.  So I am sure that will cut traffic some as well.
The bad side of it is once again, the whole community will miss that
information or chance to get to know each others views.

For my part, I read really fast, so when it gets really massive in the "me
toos" at least it doesn't bog me down too long, if you have a slow isp and
slow load on the emails tho, it would really be terrible :(

hugs.

Larissa