[Steppes] Mailing list status

Giles Guthrie gilesguthrie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 03:36:45 PDT 2005

What he said. Personally, it makes no difference to me as I learned long ago
to review who the email is being sent to. My sister ended up marrying my
arch nemesis as a result of my not paying attention to the recepients of a
mass email. (he saw her address in the giant cluster of addresses often left
when a message is forwaded, but that is a cat with a very long tail and best
left for another time.)

I find that as far as the clutter of frivolous or irrelavent messages, using
Google's Gmail service for all my list traffic helps immensely. All like
subjects are grouped as conversations, so the wading through the list is
much easier. I can handle one thread at a time, and when a thread veers off
course or degenerates (or originates) as "My new name is_____ " or "OMG! I
am the ____ Fairy of _____ LOLZ!!!1!!1!", I can delete all of those messages
at once. While ideally the silliness would be kept off of the lists to begin
with, it is much easier to deal with when it can be gotten rid of with a
single click. If anyone wants to try gmail, email myself or anyone else on
list with a gmail address (OFF LIST), as we all have a bajillion+1 gmail
invitations to hand out (it is still an invitation only service.)

My two copper's worth,

Giles