[Steppes] Free Silk Road lecture SUN 23 rd

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 04:24:29 PST 2005

This is part of a notice sent me by SMU and I thought it might be helpful to
let you all know about it. I tried to forward it earlier in the week, but it
got bounced. Sorry the lead time for you is not as great as I had hoped.

Lete

(The lecture is at 2:00 in the Bridwell Library on Bishop and Hillcrest.)

The evidence for the Jewish presence on the Silk Road is of various sorts,
literary and artistic. This presentation will range from the synagogue at
Dura Europos, to the Rhadanites and Khazars, to the Mogao caves at Dunhuang,
finally ending at Kaifeng, the original home of Bridwell Library's famous
17th-century Chinese Torah Scroll.

Professor Dien has been teaching at Stanford University since the 1960s. He
has traveled, taught and lived in China, and led numerous study trips to
China, and is currently leading a study abroad seminar in Beijing.

For more information call (214) 768-3483.

This event is free and open to the public.