[Steppes] Notes from the new guy

John Mays john_l_mays at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 21:58:37 PST 2005

New Seneschal signing on.
I might misspell a name or two or not list a full title here and there, so
please forgive me.  I am typing from their handwritten notes.

For those of you not able to make the business meeting, here is a short
review of the high points:

Two offices filled, although one for only 6 mouths, and she seems rather
firm on this point.
The Hospitaler is Alena, and for the short term, Katya is our local
Chronicler.

Knight Marshal Hrafn Olafsson reports that the attendance at fighter
practice has been rather light due to the weather and the holidays.  The war
practice did draw a total of 33 fighters, counting the light and heavy
groups.

Archery Marshal Linet Grey lists only one shoot in December (rain and
Holiday issues).  The turkey shoot raised $105 for the American Cancer
Society.  Jacque won the shoot and Alienor won the turkey raffle.  BTW, no
archery practice Sunday after 12th night.

Our Demo Coordinator Brenain reported that the Mensa demo in November went
well.  We have several upcoming demos scheduled, the nearest being with the
North Texas Irish Festival.

Equestrian Marshal Allessandra di Giovanni reports that the search is on for
new practice area.  If you know of a suitable location please let her know.

Katya, our short term Chronicler, stated that the Steppes letter info is due
to her on the 15th.   Like she said, SHORT TERM, so if the printed word is
your thing, please send a note to her inquiring on the position.

Our Exchequer, Elin, reports that expenses related to 12th night have placed
the bank account at just under $5,000.  This does not include feast
reservations that have been paid to date.

Gerita del Mare reported that the game kits for the war are in need of some
busy hands.  They are part of the Royal gifts, so we really need to get
these things knocked out.  Clothiers and Textile guild members are meeting
on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Wednesdays each month at her house.  Others are also
welcome.

This Saturday is 12th night, and if you have not heard that more volunteers
are needed, then you must be living under a HUGE rock.  Setup starts at noon
on Friday.  Tear down and clean up occurs at the end of the event on
Saturday night.  Email the 12th night stewards if you can lend a hand.  A
schedule of event activities is on the web site.  They also ask that people
not forget the table-decorating contest.

As usual, the locker where all the Steppes gear is housed is a complete
wreck.  This is not good, but has become the norm of late.  So, since 90% of
the locker gets emptied for 12th night, we are going to make good use of the
situation.  I need as many bodies as can be assemble at the locker by 10 AM
on the Sunday after 12th night.  We will completely empty, inventory and
reload the locker.  It also seems that several items seem to be fewer in
number than last inspected.  So if you have an item that should have been
returned to the locker, bring it this Sunday.   The truck used for 12th
night will be back at the locker by noon.  This means we must do all the
prep work in the 2 hours before it arrives.  If we act as a unit, we could
probably get this whole process completed by 2pm.   This requires lots of
people willing to work up a sweat.  We all benefit from the use of the items
stored there, this is part of that debt.

See you at 12th Night

Jon Rolfsson.

no HL.