[Steppes] trivia ...

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 10:30:24 PDT 2005

Saqra,
The 'iced 12th Night' - was that the one where Athelstan did the Russian Feast
and we had the large St. Basil's Cathedral tapestry behind the thrones?  That's
where I received my AoA.

However, when I think of a cold 12th Night, my memory goes to the Marco
Polo/Silk Road one that was held in the unheated Food and Fiber building at
Fair Park.  Yep, memories of ladies hovered around the space heater in the
restroom.  It was a beautiful building, though, despite the cold.  The F&F
building has glorious arched passageways that reminded me of French Abbeys.  It
had that 'real' feel to it!  But cold!!!  Talk about layering garb!!!!

Gabrielle

--- AlKudsi at aol.com wrote:

> It was my understanding, although I'm not a herald nor the Baronial
> Historian, that the "Nishto sluchayetsye sovsyem vStyepi (Nothing ever
> happens in the
> Steppes - Russian) saying was just that...a response to the fact that over
> the
> course of several years, the Steppes played host to not only our full
> calendar
> of usual events, but a series of kingdom events including several coronations
>
> and a Known World A&S event.  I recollect (and I'm getting old so I could be
> wrong) that HL Vashti was the instigator of it, and it was a rather sarcastic
>
> response to some out-Barony critizism at the time.  My first recollection of
> hearing it was at the Iced 12th Night that Vashti autocrated that had a
> Russian
> menu.  I've never heard of it being considered the official motto of the
> Steppes, although I do remember quite vividly Edwin's suggestion of the "From
>
> little acorns do Mighty Oaks grow" at a business meeting or populace meeting.
>  It
> was going to be investigated, is my recollection.  The herald who could
> probably answer the questions about why it isn't listed as an official motto
> is
> Master Da'ud.
>
> This is one of the reasons why we need to take better care of our history,
> both Baronial and Kingdom.  To set an example of the importance of
> maintaining
> our history, I'd be willing to contribute a full box of past Steppesletters
> and
> Kingdom newsletters that I collected from my first 20+ years of being a
> member of this great Barony and Kingdom. It isn't a complete collection, but
> is
> pretty extensive.  As I joined during the third reign (TM Jan and Kimrith),
> and
> so have been in more than 25 years, I have a lot of memories and memorabilia.
>
> Nothing like the memories of Her Grace Willow, and others who joined while
> Ansteorra was still a Principality of Atenveldt, but still, a lot of memories
> and
> stuff.  So much of our past has vanished or been misplaced as offices changed
>
> hands and people moved away.  I'd like to see us make a concerted effort to
> contact some of our original members (like Allemandus, Baron Steppes who
> showed
> up incognito at Warlord) and try and reconstruct some of the missing history.
>
>  Allemandus' story of the creation of the Baronial sword was quite unique,
> and virtually unknown to the current members of the Steppes until he told it
> HE Mahdi and His Grace Miguel.  Such things should not be lost...
>
> HL Saqra

“Of course I know how to work it,” said Lupin, waving his hand impatiently, “I helped write it.  I’m ‘Mooney’ – that was my friends’ nickname for me.” (p.254)... “... And that’s how we came to write the Marauder’s Map, and sign it with our nicknames.  Sirius is ‘Padfoot.’  Peter is ‘Wormtail.’  James was ‘Prongs.’ ”  (p. 260)  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London (1999).