[Steppes] Musicians among the populace?

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 08:35:45 PST 2005

I attempt the recorder, too, and I read music, but I am a bit out of practice
myself.  I guess you realized that the 'flûte à bec' I previously mentioned is
the medieval French term for the recorder (I've always hated the modern
American instrument name).  It makes sense, really, if you picture it.  The
French name literally means a flute with a beak-like mouthpiece, or 'flute with
a beak'.

I once played the harmony of the song, 'Nonesuch' with Baron Mahdi playing the
melody at an event several years ago.  I have since lost my nice wooden 'flûte'
and haven't replaced it.  It might have even been stolen - not sure.

Since not all of the Steppes members, past or present, are on the Steppes email
list, you might consider putting a note in the "Notes and Challenges" in the
next Black Star that the Steppes Dance Guild is promoting interest in getting a
Steppes Instrumental Musicians Guild started here.  Just a thought.  :)

Gabrielle
--- Russell and Erika Kinder <Russell_Erika at comcast.net> wrote:

> We suspected there were a lot of musicians in the Steppes. I was for
> several years in the shire of Mooneschadowe, which has a very active
> musicians guild. I figured if a much smaller (but enthusiastic) shire
> can have a nice music ensemble, then certainly Steppes can.
>
> I attempt to play the recorder, but I'm just a rank beginner. (and out
> of practice).
>
> --Guillaume
>
> On Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at 08:17  AM, Jann Mays wrote:
>
> > Many years ago, Steppes used to have a musicians guild.  You would be
> > surprised
> > how many closet musicians you may find in the Steppes (our Baron, for
> > one,
> > plays a mean 'flûte à bec' !).
> >
> > HL Gabrielle
> > --- Russell and Erika Kinder <Russell_Erika at comcast.net> wrote:

=====
“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.