[Steppes] Question on 12th Night Garb Contests

David L. Cox coxdl at verizon.net
Tue Nov 22 18:06:41 PST 2005

My Lady Elizabeta:

What excellent questions! Thank-you so much for asking.

QUESTION 1. "... how many contests there are..?"
	ANSWER: There are six (6)
	(a) Men's,
	(b) Women's,
	(c) Children's,
	(d) Family Unit,
	(e) Period, and lastly,
	(f) Best overall (the WOW category...stunning is operative here)
QUESTION 2. "... Are they exclusively for english tudor or do visiting
gentry from other lands have a chance to have their garb recognized?.."
	ANSWER: NO, they are hoped to be within the period of our event,
1530, plus or minus roughly 50 or so years. It would be somewhat unfair to
judge early period, say Saxon 850 CE, against the late period of say
Elizabeth I (circa 1600 CE). That said, we will have, I am advised, entries
for example, from the Imperial Court of Japan, Venice, Rome, Paris, and The
Court of Saint Petersburg, so the variety of our Society can be expected in
this contest.

GENERAL COMMENT: The 12th Night judges are Kingdom Peers, and Laurels in
their own right. They are known for their outstanding knowledge of costumes
in our SCA period. One is known outside of this Kingdom as a true authority
in their field - no, we are not doing a "fashion police action". Their
identities will be kept confidential until the judging has been completed to
ensure that no one has any advantage, and that all are treated fairly, and
equality. They have been asked to carefully circulate, make notes, and then
vote. The winners will be announced at evening court. Unlike a prior
contest, we will strive to adhere to even handedness.

I hope this helps to answer your concerns.

In Service,
David ben Leon, Autocrat ("I have nothing to wear")