[Steppes] Hurricane Katrina update - TxDOT

Martha A. Compton macpob1 at airmail.net
Fri Sep 2 16:48:21 PDT 2005

Attached and below is the latest news release updating the public about TxDOT's role in offering relief to victims of Hurricane Katrina.  Feel free to use the info however you see fit.  Just FYI.

                                                                 Sept. 2, 2005
State's highway rest areas set to help hurricane victims

     AUSTIN - The Texas Department of Transportation is in the process of setting up two more rest stops to accommodate buses with evacuees from New Orleans.
     Work was under way Friday afternoon to set up an evacuee rest stop at the rest area on westbound Interstate 10 near Columbus and on I-20 at Canton in northeast Texas.
     Both rest areas were expected to be operational tonight.
     TxDOT employees from the Yoakum and Tyler districts will be operating the rest stops around the block until the bus traffic from New Orleans ends.
     Evacuees will be given water and snacks. Personal hygiene items also will be available for those who need them.
     TxDOT also continues 24-hour staffing of its travel information centers at Orange on I-10 and Waskom on I-20.

Alis volat propriis - She flies with her own wings.