[Steppes] Libraries and colleges and knitters.

Vicki Marsh xaraxene at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 16:46:59 PDT 2005

I'm on an e-mail list for librarians at Texas Women's University and have
had some information come across the desk that someone might need to know.
TCU in Ft. Worth is also accepting refugee students http://www.tcu.edu/

Our little elementary school in Duncanville is already receiving refugees,
too. If they need anything, I'll let you know. Most of the schools in the
DFW area wear uniforms, with khaki pants and white polo shirts being a
standard for most of them.

The Denton Public library is having their teens and tweens do this to help
the refugees (see below). Also, if you can volunteer to help at any public
library, many are trying to stay open longer hours to help the refugees and
allow them to use the internet to reach loved ones around the world.

Texas Women's University, like most of the universities in the area, is
opening it's doors to university students who were enrolled in the afflicted
area. They are waiving out-of-state tuition and offering  a lot of help.

Subject: TWU Webpage for Katrina Students
>Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:06:33 -0500

>Thanks to everyone for your cooperation in assisting students displaced by
>Katrina who wish to attend TWU.  TWU will waive out-of-state tuition for
>displaced Katrina enrollees.  We have placed a link from the TWU Homepage
>to provide admissions, financial aid, and housing information for these
>students; this information is located at
><http://www.twu.edu/admissions/katrina.htm>http://www.twu.edu/admissions/ka
trina.htm.
>Please continue to refer these inquiries to the Admissions Office.
>
>Teresa A. Mauk
>Executive Director
>Enrollment Management
>Phone: 940.898.3010
>Fax: 940.898.3072

Dallas Public libraries are offering library cards to the refugees and
internet access. Other libraries in the area are following suit:

This is from the director of Denton Public Library.  Please spread the
words.  LHJ

>: Re: Fwd: DFW area Libraries: Hurricane Katrina refugees need
>         Internet access & library cards
>
>Denton Public Library is providing a free library card and free Internet
>access for any Hurricane Katrina victim in our city.  Our children's and
>adults programs are open with extended operating hours at our North
>Branch. We are accepting monetary donations for the American Red Cross,
>and our tweens and teens are knitting blankets and caps in preparation for
>winter weather.  We are also distributing our donated books and materials
>to the Salvation Army shelter here in Denton.
>
>Eva Poole, M.L.S.
>Director of Libraries
>Denton Public Library
>502 Oakland Street     Denton, Texas  76201
>email:  eva.poole at cityofdenton.com
>voice: 940.349.8750     fax: 940.349.8788

Knitters and crocheters take note of the work that the Denton library is
doing - with their tweens and teens. Perhaps you could volunteer to help
with this great project.

I hope this information will help someone around here.

Xene