[Youth-combat] RE: [Elfsea] RE: [Steppes] Fwd:[Ansteorra]YouthfulCombata...

Trish Kvamme ladyoftherose at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 17:46:15 PST 2005

The Youth comabt inclusion for 16 and 17 year olds is a relatively old
discussion, believe it or not, we are one of very few Kingdoms that do not
include them.

As far as all the Youth authorizing classes and vise versa work, I am not
sure how that will still come into phase, because it would require the
entire battle field to have taken the classes, which wont be the case.  Most
likely my guess is that they will completely phase this out for those 16 and
17 year olds wishing to fight with the adult fighters, and make it a
seperate agency if there are kids who wish to fight in a seperate catagory,
which there probably will be.

I can't imagine anyone undermining a parents choice, especially in this case
where the parent is required to be present at the event for the child to
take place in it, the kid would have to work very hard at casting a web of
confusion over the marshalls and onlookers.

I am sad to hear that there are people who don't feel their voices were
heard on this issue.  I know that many crowns before my reign and after have
discussed this issue.  I know that it was arrived at after alot of
forethought and research.  His Majesty didn't speak with me regarding his
choice, although I am certain he knows my opinion.  In the end, the Crown
always does what their heart tells them is the best choice, and I know first
hand that not everyone will always agree with that choice.

I think that it would be wonderful if perhaps you approached the Kingdom
Chronichler about doing some articals for the Black Star to share all the
knowledge you and the other youth martials and enducators have gleaned from
the experiences you have had.  Duncan took Timo's classes when they were
offered during his term as the Youth Combat lead several years back, and I
think so did a goodly number of other fighters from this region.

We are not going to have an outpouring of teens jumping in armour, and I
know that those teens who choose not to fight, or who's parents are not
comfortible with them on the field with adults, will respect both their
parents decision and the feelings of their peer group.   After all, the main
thing we teach in the society is the basis of franchise and courtesy.

I am so very glad we have such active and caring people in this group,
because only through diverse ideas and opinions does our community gain
wisdom and grow.

Larissa