[Steppes] Dyes for purple / Crimson

ED Reese reese_esther at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 09:29:11 PST 2005

Weren't there little buggies that make something similar? I know there are some in the New World, but I thought there was an insect source in the Old World as well.

One of the issues with this question is defining "purple". For the romans, "purple" was a deep, beautiful crimson.

I have to check my sources, but I think the Steppes might have used various lichens to produce vibrant purple and red colors. They have a neon pink that predates classical Greece ~!

Esther