[Steppes] Horse Blood Used For Dye?

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 15:01:54 PST 2005

Being that we have several people in and around the Steppes who have made a
study of period colors and dyes and none of them have heard of the practice,
I suspect that this was either a very local practice or that this is some
sort of urban legend that has been passed down for a while. I don't think
that there is anything in horse's blood that makes it particularly unique,
myself. Being that many of our modern serums, antivenins, vaccines, and the
like are made from the antibodies made by injecting horses with the
substances and then making the serums from an extract of the horse's blood,
I really can't imagine that it has any different qualities than our own
blood. It would be the hemoglobin that carries the iron that would be most
likely to act as a dye or a mordant, and that is essentially the same in all
mammals, to the best of my knowledge.

Linet