[Steppes] Attendance increase suggestions?

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 10:59:16 PST 2005

Sounds like fun!  A long time ago, we had a "changeling revel" (very short
populace meeting) where you had to come dressed as someone else.  Mostly other
members of the barony, but it was flexible.  I came as Snow White.  It was also
a potluck.  Really fun, actually!

Also, others have asked me to have another 'Steppes History' revel - in garb,
potluck, Steppes 'celebrities,' great stories, photos, slides and event videos.
 Perhaps early summer.  We'll see.  ;)
Gabrielle

--- ED Reese <reese_esther at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Um, could we do something kind of fun once in a while? A potluck "tavern" on
> a Saturday night, where we can dress up, and be our persona, and listen to
> old war stories, and maybe dance a little, sing and tell stories -- you know,
> something where our Seneschal is a Viking, not the Seneschal, and our Baron
> isn't an "officer", but an erudite, strong-armed Lord, with his elegant
> Spanish lady?
>
> No reports, just play -- and with a potluck, the "burden" is spread across
> the players. The game is as good as is brought.
>
> Maybe?
>
> Esther
>

> Elaine Crittenden <letebts at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >From what you say, we can encourage attendees by the following:
>
> 1. Call and invite those we haven't seen in a while. (Self-explanatory)
>
> 2. Express appreciation those who feel underappreciated. (Suggestions?)
>
> 3. Protect those who over-volunteer to the point of brownout. (More ideas?)
>
> Anyone care to offer helpful suggestions?
> Lete's--
> As for #1: Why not go back into old membership directories and Domesday
> books to see who actually dropped out and are still in the area? Those could
> be sources.
>
> I think of this because I did that a few years ago, looking for those who
> were in my ZIP code, thinking it might be nice to have a party for the
> "locals" in my ZIP, just to get us acquainted and aware of each other's
> proximity. (Due to a non-playing husband, that idea went down the tube,
> unfortunately.) Maybe someone else might do that? What about a specific date
> for ZIP parties to take place all over the area? Start small, work big....
>
> Myself, I have been preaching #2 for a long time. I still think that Thank
> You Cards could serve a great purpose, even if only one person gets a sense
> of satisfaction out of many cards given/mailed out. Official awards and Word
> Fame announcements are not the only avenues to make someone feel
> appreciated. Sometimes, the Official things are too few and too far apart to
> keep volunteers and attendance up. Right?
>
> #3 is *wonderful*!!!
> Personal experience:
> Nuala (God bless her magnanimous soul!) has vowed to give me the gift (at
> this Warlord) of being able to do something I have never been able to do--to
> have the time to *casually* wander through the merchant and competition
> displays areas, to actually be able to sit down and watch all aur wonderful
> fighters in the lists and other venues, explore all the other good stuff
> available, and to just hang out with the other gentles. Normally, I am
> stressed out to the max, frantically trying to correctly spell award
> winners' names in the most beautiful lettering I can manage in the time
> frame and work area circumstances, usually in a corner somewhere (sometimes
> with guards sent to protect my isolation) so the many awardees over those
> [...]

=====
“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.