[Steppes] A thought on A&S judging

Jann Mays hlgabrielle at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 10:42:30 PST 2005

I have heard a lot of complaints over the years of how newcomers who enter A&S
events are harshly judged even if they are 'novice' in their display.  I
recently ran across this little disclaimer from a French competition that I
will be judging and liked it.  I thought we might be able to use it in the
future, so I edited it for our use.  I hope that something like this may be
provided on future regulations for A&S judges.

"A&S Judges,

One note about judging: Although the event is very competitive, we also have a
goal of encouraging artisans to perfect their craft and to return to subsequent
A&S events.  Please make sure your comments are supportive and conservative .
(Ex. Very good beadwork. Next time, please explain your technique more
thoroughly in your documentation.).  Avoid negative remarks that may discourage
new artisans from participating again."

This is not meant to start a thread of judging complaints, it is just a
contribution (suggestion) to future A&S events.

YIS,
HL Gabrielle Honoree de Saint Pierre

=====
“... his body curved in a graceful arc as he sank backwards through the ragged veil hanging from the arch ... the look of mingled fear and surprise on his ... wasted, once-handsome face as he fell through the ancient doorway and disappeared behind the veil ...”  p. 886 (abridged).  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix."  J.K. Rowling.  Bloomsbury Publishing, London.