[Steppes] Steppes Fighter Practice - 06-26-2005

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon Jun 27 16:54:13 PDT 2005

Heilsa,

Next week is a holiday weekend - July 4th weekend. There will be two
fighter practices being held in Carrollton at Mary Heads Carter Park
(MHC) and at 2 PM this coming weekend.

PLEASE BRING PLENTY OF FLUIDS WITH YOU FOR THIS EVENT. Suggest 2 gallons
of water/Gaterade and snacks with you.

The first practice will be the Joint War Practice on July 3rd which
starts at 2 PM and will run until everyone is ready to quit.

The second practice will be on July 4th, and it will also start at 2 PM
and will be a more laid back type of practice. The City of Carrollton
will be holding their fireworks approximately 1 mile from the park.  We
will also be eating dinner prior to the fireworks just like we did last
year. Once, again the BBQ will be from Sonny Bryan's. More about this in
separate message.

The loaner armor will be available for both practices, plus some
additional armor from various fighters personal armor. First come, first
served.

Instruction was provided by Centurion Morgan and Lord CinaedOHosey sword
and shield and spear - both fiberglass and rattan. Lord Richard of
Durnsford provided instruction in sword and shield.

A scenario of two on one with spears were undertaken to aid in training.

Schedule:
Regular schedule fighter practice - every Sunday starting at 2 PM.
Mary Heads Carter Park in Carrollton.

July 3rd:
Joint War Practice:
Mary Heads Carter (MHC) park in Carrollton.
Start time: 2 PM
If possible, arrive early as your schedule permits.
Combat Archery will be included in the scenarios.

July 4th -
An extra Fighter Practice
BBQ in the park
Watching City of Carrollton's 4th of July Fireworks

July 10th -
Regular fighter practice in the park the day after Coronation.

Gothic War:
Labor Day Weekend - September 2nd through 5th
Sweetwater, Texas - it is the old site
Heavy fighting melees on Saturday, with tournaments on Sunday.
Amazon household's 25th year anniversary, should be some partying going.

Gothic webpage <http://adlersruhe.ansteorra.org/Gothic.html>

It is now almost a full week into another Texas summer (Summer Official
started on June 21st).  And everyone now asks first what is the
temperature and then what is the THI or the Temperature Humidity Index
is or the heat index is. But where did this come from and by whom?

 I know growing up around here, never heard of the THI nor the heat
index when it was hot, we knew it and when it was cold we knew it. If we
wanted to be sure - we would look at a thermometer and read the
temperature. Then either wipe our brow or shiver a bit in our coats.

The idea of THI did not start here in Texas nor even in the South nor in
the Southwest. It started in Colorado by a textile professor at the
Colorado State University who wrote a paper titled:

"The Assessment of Sultriness: A Temperature Humidity Index Based on
Human Physiology And Clothing Science."

The National Weather Service came up with a snappier name in the 1980s:
heat index.
(The portions of the above information either came from and/or was
suggested by an article in the Dallas Morning News.)

To me, it is another Texas summer with the heat, and being in the park
for practice, leaves me the only option that I have to express these
terms: and that is to wipe my brow and keep truck'ng.

The day was partly cloudy and even had a cooling breeze for part of the
day. There was even a hint of rain and in the end it was a tease. The
majority of the day was hot with the temperatures in the upper 90's. The
wind did remain light but constant.

The shade pavilion with an additional tarp was set up and made used of.
Nikko, oldest son of Lord CinaedOHosey assisted both in the set-up and
the teardown. Byorn assisted in the teardown as well. Thank You to both.

Once, again people paced themselves, brought out water and gatorade,
went out and fought, came back off the field and cooled down and
replenished their fluids with water and/or gatorade.

If you have chairs, then please bring them with you.

A suggestion - please start drinking extra water several days prior to
the day of practice. This is also true of going to an event, be it SCA
related or not. You will have a better time and enjoy yourself more if
you are hydrate before you start your activity. Energy drinks does not
really work  when compared to water and gatorade - it may give you a
lift, but will not carry you as far.

Additional loaner armor is being made available to get as many people on
the field that wants to fight as possible. Currently - two additional
helms, one set of legs and of course the loan of personal gauntlets from
either Lord Hrafn, Lord CInaedOHosey and possible from Lord Michael
Fray, when Lord Michael is not on the field as an combat archer.

Training was available for all who requested it. The infamous ax handles
came out to help understand how to swing a sword, as well as develop a
practice routine during the week.

People in armor: 10
Children:  3
Total in attendance: 16

Weapons used this day:
Sword
Mace
Fiberglass Spear
Rattan Spear

Shields used this day:
Heater
Buckler
War Shield - Condottieri

In attendance this day:

Clan Ross:
Centurion Morgan Buchanan (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)  - Central Region
Knight Marshal
     and his lady, Lady Ciannait Chaimbuel
Lord Richard of Durnsford (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan)
Lord Hrafn Olafsson (Squire to Sir Earl Duncan) - Steppes Knight Marshal
Eric

Condottieri:
Lord CinaedOHosey and children
   daugther - Tori
   and sons - Jon and Nikko
Lord Michael Fray

Lord Damon Xanthns
Lord Richard

Till
Rose
Byorn inn Svarti
Cuhlwch

Individual fights witness this day:
Lord CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Cuhlwch with buckler and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Lord Richard of Durnsford with
heater and sword
Till with heater and mace vs Lord Richard of Durnsford with heater and sword
Lord Richard with rattan spear vs Rose with fiberglass spear
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Byorn with heater and sword
Lord Richard with heater and sword vs Till with heater and sword
Rose with fiberglass spear vs Lord Richard with fiberglass spear
Lord CinaedOHosey with buckler and sword vs Centurion Morgan with
buckler and sword
Centurion Morgan with heater and sword vs Till with heater and sword

Two on one spear training:
Lord Damon with fiberglass spear vs Rose fiberglass spear and Cuhlwch
with rattan spear
Lord Damon with fiberglass spear vs Rose with fiberglass spear and Lord
Richard with rattan spear

Rose with fiberglass spear vs Lord Richard with rattan spear
Lord Richard of Durnsford with heater and sword vs Lord Damon with
buckler and sword
Till with heater and sword vs Eric with heater and sword
Rose with fiberglass spear vs Byorn with fiberglass spear
Cuhlwch with war shield and sword vs Eric with heater and sword.

YIS,

Lord Michael Fray
  Combat Archer for the Condottieri
  King's Archer