[Steppes] applique questions

Brent Ryder borekvv at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 10:21:12 PDT 2005

>As anyone tried using reverse applique for tunics? This is where the
>accent fabric is sewn on from the back and the tunic fabric is cut
>away from the front.
>
>I haven't used WonderUnder in years and don't remember if it leaves a
>stiffness behind (and whether this washes out). I'm anxious to try
>applique spray adhesives.

First off, I do not reccomend using facing for applique work. the glue will
gum up your machine and cost you to have it cleaned out.

Starting off, is the sewing from behind going to be tacking the fabric in
place with the appliques stitch done on top after the tunic fabric is cut
away? If not it will leave a thing line or the tunic color around the edge
of the work.

I have made a couple of double sided one layer banners in this manner. The
design is drawn on the accent fabric, held in place by either pinning or the
use of temporary spray adhesive. The outer line is sewn down, to make sure
it does not move; then the accent fabric is close trimmed to that line and
then appliqued on the back side with a thinner than final width stitch. The
excess material is the close trimmed on the other side and then appliqued
over again on the top side with a wider stitch to hide the raw edge from the
second trimming.

I usually do not applique into the final area, but rather prefer to use a
two sided stitch and embroider the details so they can be seen on both
sides.

For further detailing, embroidery can also be used to diaper the field into
a random pattern or even be made into a scene so long as the same, or nearly
the same, tincture is used as the cloth you are embroidering over. It all
depends on the finished look you are trying to achieve.

Hope this has been of help

Borek