[Steppes] Looking for someone in Gulfport

Morgan Cain (Ret.) morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 2 17:44:08 PDT 2005

Hi, y'all:

I know the SCA is probably busy trying to locate it's own, but the theatre
community is mine as well and I hope this plea can get passed along in case
someone does know her ex.  They aren't SCA, but she is good people:

If you know of anyway to contact people in Gulfport MS, my ex husband
is missing. Our daughter is going out of her mind.  He lives at 1913
19th Ave in Gulfport. If you know of anyone that could find the
street and then the house (or what's left of it), I'd appreciate it.
I'm hoping he's sitting on the front step with his dog waiting for us
to come get him.  But I really doubt it..  We've been crying for days.

Dawn Giammarco
Business Manager
Contemporary Theatre of Dallas
(214)828-0094
www.contemporarytheatreofdallas.com

_________HOW YOU CAN HELP WITH HURRICANE KATRINA RELIEF FUNDS_________

Here are several Column subscribers who are holding events in helping
with the victims of Hurricane Katrina:

"Friends,

We have all seen the massive devastation that has hit the Gulf Coast.
Most of you know how much I love the city of New Orleans, and this is
breaking my heart. I've just read on the internet that refugees will
now be brought to Reunion Arena. Local shelters are full and are
having a hard time keeping up with supplies.

In order to help my beloved NOLA, I have organized a supply drive with
-in my company. Local charities are in desperate need of the
following items:

Bottled Water / Diapers / Hygiene items (toilet paper, soap, etc.)
Non-perishable food items / Over the counter medications (aspirin,
etc.) / Clothing

Beginning tomorrow morning you can bring items to the Cooper Guest
Lodge front lobby, located at 12230 Preston Road in Dallas (map link
provided below). We will also need people with trucks and vans who
would volunteer for periodic pick-up and delivery of these items to
local resources. We will collect items through the end of September
...then reassess the need at that time.

I would also like to encourage you to organize a similar drive at your
company. It took only an hour for me to set everything up. These
people really need our help. I talked to an elderly gentleman staying
at our property who lost his home. It is just so, so sad and it's
happening in our own backyard. The report I heard this morning is that
New Orleans may be inhabitable for 16 weeks or more! If everybody
pitched in, imagine what we could do? Please help. Encourage your
network of friends to organize help as well.

Sheila D. Rose

Hello My Friends,

It has been a devastating week for our country.  I don't know about
you, but I felt incredibly helpless.  I know I wondered what can my
little bit do.  Well, if you have thought that, I'll tell you!!

On Saturday night, Gary Floyd & I (Both column subscribers) will be
performing at Bill's Hide-away from 9:30 -1:30. There will be a box
set up to collect toiletry and small clothing items for the Hurricane
victims.  Items such as tooth brushes & paste, deodorant, face
cloths, diapers, socks are greatly needed.  The box will remain at
the Hideaway for at least a week or as long as items continue to come
in.  Another way you can help. If you go to

http://cdbaby.com/group/redcross (the site I sell my cd on)

you will find that hundreds of artist have united to send all of the
proceeds from their cd sales to the Red Cross.  Some of you have
asked recently about purchasing my cd.  For at least the next month,
I will only be selling my cd via this site.  The money goes directly
from CDBABY to the Red Cross.   Even if you have my cd, this is an
opportunity to check out a lot of great music and help a good cause
at the same time!!  I hope you'll take a look!!

Some us are very fortunate not to have had anyone in that area.  But
don't let that stop you from helping.  What affects one of us, affects
us all! Thanks so much!

peace & blessings,
Denise Lee

FREE Garage Sale for the Hurricane Victims

Hello All, We have quite a few (about 30 families and growing )
hurricane victims staying at our hotel and it is heart breaking to see
how they have been affected. They are all so humble and are so
thankful for any help they can get. We are trying to do what we can
do to help, so I came up with an idea. We are having a FREE Garage
Sale for the Hurricane victims at our hotel on Friday at 1pm.

If you have any items (clothes, toys, food, kitchen stuff, blankets,
pillows, etc. - ANYTHING) laying around the house, please bring it to
the Residence Inn Park Central by noon on Friday.

We will also be having another one on Tuesday at 1pm also. Any one
attending the Garage sale will have to present an out of State license
for admittance.
Please help us help the Victims of Hurricane Katrina. Your help is
greatly appreciated.

Drop Off Time: Anytime between Now and Friday 12 pm for 1pm. FREE
Garage Sale Friday or By Tuesday at 12 pm for 1 pm FREE Garage Sales
Tuesday.

Please pass this to anyone who you think may be able to help. If you
would like to help, we would love to have you. Thank you in advance
for your support.

Melissa Van Sickels / General Manager
Residence Inn - Dallas Park Central
7642 LBJ Freeway / Dallas, TX 75251
(972) 503-1333 / (972) 503-8333 - fax
melissa.vansickels at marriott dot com

Below are various good links that are accepting donations, etc:

CARTER BLOODCARE BLOOD DRIVES:

Carter BloodCare has sent blood to hurricane victims, and are
expecting to send more. They have received requests from Mississipi
Blood Services and The Blood Center in New Orleans. They'll be
holding blood drives at two locations Saturday from 10am - 6pm and
Sunday Noon - 6pm at:

Vista Ridge Mall / 2401 South Stemmons Freeway / Lewisville

North East Mall / 1101 Melbourne Rd. / Hurst

Call 1.800.DONATE4 or go to CarterBloodCare.org. for more
information.

KATRINA RELIEF: HOW YOU CAN HELP :

Here is contact information and links to reputable national and local
relief agencies.

What is Needed

Money is the #1 need in a disaster like this. Giving money to a
reputable charity is the most efficient way of helping the cause.
>From time to time, charities will ask for donations of specific items
for specific needs. Before you give non-cash items, please contact
the charity of your choice to find out if they need those items.

Where to Donate -- KNOW BEFORE YOU GIVE!

If you don't have a preferred charity, we've listed a few local and
national charities below. But this is not a complete list.

Also, beware of charity scams. Before you give to a charity you're
not familiar with, check them out first. Ask your friends or
neighbors, or consult a website like give.org or guidestar.org, which
help givers evaluate the way each charity raises and spends its money.

Also, FEMA has a great web page that offers advice you should read
before giving to any disaster charity relief.

Relief agencies

Texas Baptist Men -- looking for volunteers and monetary donations
Local food banks are helping collect food to be sent to the disaster
zones. Contact the Tarrant Area Food Bank in Fort Worth at
817.332.9177, or the North Texas Area Food Bank at 214.330.1396. The
food banks are taking donations today through Monday from 830a-6p at
1228 N. Belt Line Rd. in Irving.

Victim Relief Ministries is a Dallas-based charity that is sending
chaplains and crisis volunteers to the disaster area. Until relief
volunteers are able to enter New Orleans, the Victim Relief Chaplains
are visiting temporary shelters giving assistance. You can call them
at 214.275.9900.

RedCross.org -- donate to the American Red Cross, 1.800.HELP.NOW

salvationarmyusa.org -- Salvation Army: 1.800.SAL.ARMY

catholiccharitiesusa.org -- Catholic Charities: 1.800.919.9338.

nvoad.org -- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster.

Convoy of Hope -- helping deliver relief supplies to the disaster area

la-spca.org -- Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals.

_________________THEY NEED VOLUNTEERS AT REUNION ARENA!_______________

Another column subscriber (didn't leave name) sent this:

Just an FYI, I just talked to the administrative department of Reunion
Arena and they are in desperate need of volunteers. These hurricane
victoms are in desperate need of volunteers and would really
appreciate our help. The reunion staff needs to be relieved so they
can go home and take a nap and shower and change clothes. If you are
interested they said to go into the main entrance of Reunion and
there is a lady sitting at a table taking volunteers and she said
that you would probably be put to work immediately.  Let's show our
Texas spirit and our devotion to God and help these very needy
people. call (214) 800-3000 hit 4 then 1 and you should get a live
person.

_______ANGELIKA IS HOLDING SCREENING BENEFIT FOR KATRINA VICTIMS______

        "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."
                             - Blanche DuBois

This immortal line from Tennessee Williams' classic ode to the French
Quarter takes on a sudden and tragic relevance as New Orleans and the
rest of the Gulf Coast struggles to overcome the devastation caused by
Hurricane Katrina.

The Angelika Film Center of Dallas is proud to present a screening of
the classic 1951 film version of 'A Streetcar Named Desire' to
benefit the American Red Cross Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

The screening takes place Monday, September 12 at 7:30 p.m..

A $10 (per person) minimum donation to the American Red Cross is
required for admission. 100% of ticket proceeds will go to the
American Red Cross for hurricane relief.

"A Streetcar Named Desire" is the story of Blanche DuBois, a fragile
and faded Southern Belle on a desperate prowl for someplace in the
world to call her own. Considered shocking and controversial in its
day, the film won four Oscars including Best Actress (Vivien Leigh)
and Best Supporting Actor and Actress (Karl Malden and Kim Hunter).

The film has become a classic and is included on the American Film
Institute's list of 100 Greatest American Films.

Seating is limited and tickets are available at the Angelika Box
Office. For more info please call the Angelika at 214-841-4712.

Angelika Film Center
5321 East Mockingbird Lane, Suite 230 / Dallas, TX 75206
www.angelikafilmcenter.com

>From Dez in Baton Rouge, trying to help save pets and other animals:

Those wanting to donate to help relief efforts directly here in Baton Rouge,
at the local emergency shelter at Louisiana State University, can donate to
the Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association's charitable foundation, which
is the WJE Foundation.

Visit their website at:
www.lvma.org

or, call their hotline at 1-800-928-LVMA
I thjnk they have a link foir making credit card donations there.

You can also send a check directly to
Louisiana Veterinary Medical Association
8550 United Plaxza Boulevard
Suite 1001
Baton Rouge, LA 70809

Please write "HURRICANE RELIEF FUND" on the "for" line on the check.

http://www.lionbrand.com/reliefCharities.html
http://www.kera.org/community/katrina

I'm sure people are reaching out to those in Alabama, Louisiana, and
Mississippi - just remember that a lot of those people are heading for
Dallas and Ft. Worth and need our help there, too.  I'm planning to do what
I can to volunteer when I get back.

                  ---= f/k/a "little Morgan", temporarily in Milwaukee

Come to the DFW Knit Out & Crochet Too on September 10th!
      http://home.earthlink.net/~mlhobbies/dfwknitoutandcrochettoo2005
"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent
 to the dark place where it leads."                    ---= Erica Jong
"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
                    ---= Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898), Alice in Wonderland