[Steppes] Forwarded Message about ElfSea Defender

Michael Smith morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:47:32 PDT 2005

Come one come all, Good Lord and Ladies to Elfsea Defender XXVII;

It is time once again to compete for the honor and glory of being an Elfsea Defender. These are titles coveted by the best fighters, swordsmen and archers of Ansteorra and the Known World.

Their Excellencies, Armand Dragonetti and Ameline du Bois, the Baron and Baroness of Elfsea, do hereby invite one and all to this momentous event.

There promises to be many different exciting activities including the lists for Chivalric, Rapier and Archery to vie for the Defender championships. The Chivalric list will be a Swiss Five. The Rapier list will be a Swiss Five. One round of each list will be Their Excellencies choice. The Archery tournament will be a 2.5-hour bear pit type of shoot. There will be varying distances and different targets to shoot at. All SCA legal types of bows will be allowed. Crossbows may not support the bow arm or crossbow in any way such as elbow to knee or elbow to ground etc. There will be no combat archery in the Defender shoot. There will be other shoots for
fun during the day ad we will try to run a Royal Round for those that would like to post away scores.

Their Excellencies have asked that letters of intent be sent to them.

Other competitions to be held are the championships for Bardic, and Arts and Sciences. The A & S Competition will consist of "The Frugal Anachronist", which means your best body of work for thirty dollars or less.

The Bardic competition begins as soon as you arrive. There will be special bags handed out to competing bards and tokens to all who enter. The populace will be the ones to judge who will be the next Fire Walker. The Bards will be handing out little flags for those merchants and camps that would prefer we not perform in their designated areas; they must be hung in a visible area.

The populace will be granting their tokens to the bard that has given them the best time so be sure to keep moving and gathering as many as you can to get that first Fire Walker's Lantern. We will be gathering the competitors' bags at 10 pm on Sat Night. As soon as we have counted them all up we will announce the winners at the Hafla.

The Ansteorran Middle Eastern Dance Championship will be held Saturday night and promises to be most exhilarating.

Site will open at 4:00 PM on Friday, September 23rd and close at noon on Sunday September 25th. There will be no feast.

We look forward to seeing one and all.

Lady Aislyn of Glynwyrd Fen

and Arcus Fearghus MacKenna

Co-Autocrats