[Steppes] Weaving

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 17:27:52 PDT 2006

In a message dated 8/22/2006 5:21:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
jasiwolf at gmail.com writes:
> Also, there is a weaving shop in the White Rock area and if you need the
> info on its location, I will try to get it for you.

White Rock Weaving is only open by appointment on the Saturdays.  No other
stores in the area carry any weaving supplies, and the last time I was a White
Rock, all they had were 4- and 8-harness looms, used, for sale, starting at
about $850.  They specialize in classes, carry a limited amount of specialty
yarns, tools and books for weavers.

I've had my Schacht inkle for the entire 20+ years I've been weaving, and
while I've had to replace the tensioning bar (I tension HIGH), none of the pegs
in my commercial loom have broken or popped out.  Some of the handmade versions
made by various woodcrafters within the SCA are not quite as sturdily built.
Stella's are, at least the ones I've seen have been.  But her high end ones,
made of oak, are the same price as a Schacht...so.

Jessica, I repeat my advice.  Come to one of us who are weavers.  We will be
happy to let you try out the different kinds of looms and types of weaving.

I didn't mention card weaving in my earlier post because, technically, you do
not need a loom at all to do it.  You can tie off your warp to a tree, a
table, a column, whatever, and weave.  It is rather like a backstrap loom in that
manner.  (a backstrap being a form of soft/hard heddle loom similar to a
ground loom, except that tensioning is formed by the weaver themself rather than
pegs in the ground).

To my knowledge, Hobby Lobby does not carry any kind of looms except the
little kits for children to make potholders.  That is an option, but does not give
you a true weaving experience.  They do carry some yarns appropriate for
inkle looms (100 cotton yarns are best), and perle cottons that they have in the
embroidery section.  Personally, I do not recommend perle cotton for a first
inkle project (even though it was mine).  It is more difficult to finish the
first project, harder to get a decent edge (selvedge), and even weaving.  I
recommend Sinfonia and Sugar 'n Cream yarns (both good chunkier cottons).  There
are two shops catering to knitters/crocheters that have good cotton yarns, as
well, in the Richardson/Plano area: the Woolie Ewe (at Custer and Park, I
believe) and Yarn and Stitches (at Coit and Arapaho).

Saqra