[Steppes] Weaving

Judie Willey littledragon0861 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 07:59:10 PDT 2006

I was at White rock weaving yesterday and she will order all the looms for
you. At the moment she doesnt have any used floor looms for sale....but she
does have several Schact inkle looms ( I am going back to get mine next
week) as well as several types of frame looms and tabletop heddle looms. She
also has some beautiful spinning wheels and drop spindles...hint
hint....Torquil wants to start spinning and weaving..ok a bit strange for a
man..I dont think I have ever seen a man spinning...but we will both be
weaving. He is planning on buying me both a smaller floor loom which will be
portable for events, as well as the Schact  8 harness floor loom that will
do the 48 " wide fabric...I cant wait

Oh she also offers classes at a very reasonable price of $85 for 15 hours
(there is a long waiting list though...we got on it yesterday) which starts
at the very beginning of warping your loom...but if you purchase a loom from
her the class is free and she shoots you to the top of the list.

Hadassah

On 8/22/06, AlKudsi at aol.com <AlKudsi at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 8/22/2006 5:21:21 AM Central Daylight Time,
> jasiwolf at gmail.com writes:
> > Also, there is a weaving shop in the White Rock area and if you need the
> > info on its location, I will try to get it for you.
> >
> White Rock Weaving is only open by appointment on the Saturdays.  No other
> stores in the area carry any weaving supplies, and the last time I was a
> White
> Rock, all they had were 4- and 8-harness looms, used, for sale, starting
> at
> about $850.  They specialize in classes, carry a limited amount of
> specialty
> yarns, tools and books for weavers.
>
> I've had my Schacht inkle for the entire 20+ years I've been weaving, and
> while I've had to replace the tensioning bar (I tension HIGH), none of the
> pegs
> in my commercial loom have broken or popped out.  Some of the handmade
> versions
> made by various woodcrafters within the SCA are not quite as sturdily
> built.
> Stella's are, at least the ones I've seen have been.  But her high end
> ones,
> made of oak, are the same price as a Schacht...so.
>
> Jessica, I repeat my advice.  Come to one of us who are weavers.  We will
> be
> happy to let you try out the different kinds of looms and types of
> weaving.
>
> I didn't mention card weaving in my earlier post because, technically, you
> do
> not need a loom at all to do it.  You can tie off your warp to a tree, a
> table, a column, whatever, and weave.  It is rather like a backstrap loom
> in that
> manner.  (a backstrap being a form of soft/hard heddle loom similar to a
> ground loom, except that tensioning is formed by the weaver themself
> rather than
> pegs in the ground).
>
> To my knowledge, Hobby Lobby does not carry any kind of looms except the
> little kits for children to make potholders.  That is an option, but does
> not give
> you a true weaving experience.  They do carry some yarns appropriate for
> inkle looms (100 cotton yarns are best), and perle cottons that they have
> in the
> embroidery section.  Personally, I do not recommend perle cotton for a
> first
> inkle project (even though it was mine).  It is more difficult to finish
> the
> first project, harder to get a decent edge (selvedge), and even
> weaving.  I
> recommend Sinfonia and Sugar 'n Cream yarns (both good chunkier
> cottons).  There
> are two shops catering to knitters/crocheters that have good cotton yarns,
> as
> well, in the Richardson/Plano area: the Woolie Ewe (at Custer and Park, I
> [...]

Rebbe Hadassah Sarai bas Yossi
MoC Barony of Steppes