[Steppes] Public Service Announcement

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Tue Nov 14 08:10:09 PST 2006

Greetings all,

We have seen this issue a few times now from multiple people so I am going ahead and sending this to the list as a general reminder.

If you use an address booka nd have the address for the list save in it please verify that it is being sent to the correct address.  It seems that when creating the entry (I have seen this in outlook and it may apply to other mail clients) sometimes the wrong address is being populated.  If you look at the saved address and it says steppes-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org then you need to changes it.  The correct address to post to the list is steppes at lists.ansteorra.org.

The steppes-bounces address is an administrative address used by the list software.  it is put in the email header so that if a mail server bounces an email for some reason it goes back to that address.  You will have at least 2 problems if you email it.  1)  Your email will nto get to the list.  2) you could get automatically unsubscribed.  The list server automatically unsubscribes accounts that they get too much bounced email from.  If you email its bounce address then it is assuming it is getting rejected by your mail server.

Alasdair