[Steppes] New Commer

Heidi lucre_angel at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 20:16:12 PDT 2006

I am new to the Steppes. I moved from Denton to McKinney, and had been participating with the Canton of Glaslyn.

  Tweleth Night was my first event. I found the SCA on my own, so I came in knowing no one and very little. In Glaslyn they called me "Heidi the Brave" (Heidi's my mundane name, Emma Shirlock is my SCA name, 12 cent Norman). Everyone in Glaslyn was very nice, they helped me understand the 'basics', and SCA 101, they lent me feast gear and gave me a seat at their table. I enjoyed playing in Glaslyn because of how nice everyone was, but I began to feel left out. There are many reasons why I felt this way, it's a very small canton and I only met about 10 people, everyone there had been playing alot longer than me, and I was at an inbetween age.
  What I mean by "Inbetween" is that I'm a college student at UNT and I'm 21, there aren't many college students playing in Glaslyn, most people around my age were in highschool and children of other members. There weren't many who could relate to me for that reason. I can't say that I've no friends in Glaslyn, but at the same time I can say that I've no friends in Glaslyn because I couldn't connect with anyone.
  I'm really interested in bardic, pottery, and danceing but there was no real opportunity for that there.
  Coming to the Steppes is a new begining for me, and it's almost a last chance. I love going to events, making my clothes, getting swept away in the past, Gulf Wars was so much fun, but it was getting to the point that I wasn't having fun anymore because after being active in the SCA for 8 mnts I still don't know anyone.
  I'm hoping to change that by coming to the Steppes because of how big the barony is, and all the artistic opportunities that it offers. I know that I'll get the same warm welcome that I got in Glaslyn because that's the SCA style.

  It would be great if anyone could give me advice on just being new, I can take constructive criticism.

  Emma