[Steppes] 12th Night Theme

alkudsi at aol.com alkudsi at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 15:46:06 PDT 2006

I do hate to disagree with you, Mistress Serena, but I gathered that the theme period was 10th-12th century Andalusian Spain -- the height of Convivencia -- which is actually of the time period of several crusades.  Both Spain and Italy were departure points for many fighters going to the Holy Lands, although the main body of fighters usually took the eastern land route or the sea route from Italy.  The ones who went through Spain usually were making the Pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, then then on to Rome to get Papal blessing before heading to the Holy Lands.

The books I've mentioned cover the period of time from around 730 - 1350 or so, or from the Moorish conquest of Spain until the defeat of the last Moorish king -- which is the period of time covered by the Convivencia mantle.  After 1350 was the period of the Spanish Inquisition, which was a far less convivial period!  If I have mistaken the time period, I do apologize.

HL Saqra