[Steppes] 12th Night theme

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Fri Sep 29 22:14:24 PDT 2006

Again, my apologies to Mistress Serena for contradicting her.  I would like
to see the event steward step in and give a more specific time period.

When I came home from work this evening, I started digging in my books, just
to make sure I had my facts correct.  According to Richard Fletcher, author of
the book Moorish Spain, the Moors first invaded Spain in 711 AD, and the last
Moorish king was kicked out (for the last time -- it took kicking his
ancestors and him out three times to finally get rid of them) in 1492. (Gosh, that
was a BUSY year, wasn't it?)

According to Malcolm Billings, the author of The Cross and The Crescent: A
History of the Crusades, the first crusade was in 1060 or so, and was aimed at
getting the Moors out of Spain.  That failed, and in the November of 1095 you
see the first Crusade (with a Capital C and curtesy of Pope Urban) to the Holy
Lands.  The crusades continued throughout the time period up to the 15th
century in the Holy Lands, but the fall of the knightly orders (Templars,
Hospitalers, etc.) which developed during the beginning of the Crusades probably mark
the actual "end" of the crusades...and that was in 1798 when Napolean took the
last Knights stronghold in Malta.  Most books about the Crusades in the Holy
Lands indicate about 500-600 years of sporatic warfare.

Now, my understanding was that the 12th Night theme was originally the
Crusader era in Jeruselem, but was changed to Moorish Spain.  That means you could
have everything from early period costuming through early Renaissance, if you
cover the entire time period of Moorish Spain.  If the autocrat means the
height of Convivencia (the time of relatively peaceful accord between Jews,
Christians, and Muslims) in Moorish Spain, it limits it to about 1090-1350 or so.

So, what does that mean for costuming?  You are safe with 11th-14th century
European or Middle Eastern, I would presume.  More specifically, it will depend
on the event steward's exact interpretation of "Moorish Spain."

HL Saqra