No subject

Mon May 29 06:10:17 PDT 2006

arroyos or stream beds -- even if they display years of trees, bushes,
vegitation growth.  This is because in central and southern Arizona, *all*
low-lying areas are to be treated as flash flood plains.  They might take a
hit only once in a great while, but when they do, that runoff can pick up
5th wheels along with anything smaller, and tumble everything like dice on a
craps table.  Storms in Arizona are *almost* completely predictable as to
direction, type, strength and precipitation -- *not* so, our Texas weather!

Now, at the Canton Trade Days site, our groups are accustomed to using the
one or more drainage channels that run through it for the ambience of our
campsites.  However, the fields we use for equestrian, archery, our list
fields, great pavilions and camping are in the lower wash areas.  The water
run-off from higher ground/s goes to these channels (we have a much smaller
one on our farm!) to drain on into larger and larger channels, eventually
feeding rivers or lakes.  A very little bit of rain (for our farm, anything
over 1" in 2 hours) can cause flooding to, and in, the drainage channels (up
to 4" running across most of the land on which our house sits, to the
streambed).