No subject

Mon May 29 06:10:17 PDT 2006

makes this site dangerous for our activities isn't just from, for example,
the 3" to 6" that actually rained on Canton Saturday night and Sunday
morning, but included the 3" to 6" of rain that hit and couldn't soak into
other higher land, maybe miles away, that then drains through the Canton
channel/s on its way further "downstream".

This weekend's storms dumped a lot of rain.  Any time that happens, the
Canton channels will wash out.  In my very short experience, storms from the
north tend to do that around here, but the more normal patterns from the
west and south often do, as well.

This offers no solutions, just recognition of the cause of the "Waterlord"
problems: it was the rains running from higher grounds that led to the
flooding, not merely the rain on site.  If we look for another site to "fix"
the problems, we need one that also is on ground high enough that we can
camp and travel safely on it.  That's not going to be easy.  It will be
harder to find a site that can accomodate our activities with each amenity
that we require (indoor privies, hot showers, electrical hookups, and still
keeping the medieval ambience).

As I see it, there are trade-offs, advantages and disadvantages to every
site.  We need to be realistic in what we want as well as what we choose.
And then we need to be foresighted enough to plan for what to do when the
disadvantages take over.  Because they *can*.

Ronnie, a 15-year veteran of "Adventures with Pat and Ronnie" -- where
whatever the TV Guide says will happen, bears little to no resemblance to
what the program actually unfolds to be.  (Thank you, Brother Kris, for
permission to freely use your analogy of our lives!).