[Steppes] Golden Key garb

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 23:29:03 PDT 2006

I prefer the idea of refraining from handing them their first tunic/garb for 'free'. For one thing, that can get costly, and besides, we meet that need by loaner garb. Perhaps it's because I'm an old Auntie Sit By the Fire (forty years today, well, yesterday, really), but investing in making or buying that first garb was the Rite of Passage into being a serious Scadian "back in my day", and oftne the first step toward acquiring a persona. (Y'all remember personas, right?)

  Is there any practicable way that we could have a newcomer's fabric stash, so when someone is ready to move beyond loaner gear, we might could gift them with their first fabric? And, hopefully, the assistance they need to construct it.

  Alternatively, instead of presenting them with garb, we could put together a newcomers kit, of cup and plate, napkin, and handout about us, etc. Perhaps we could even get a uniform sort of presentation, and do fundraisers to subsidize it. I think we could get a very nice package put together for under $5, which is certainly not too much to charge for a generic kit, and also perhaps, not too much to subsidize if we want to do a freebie.

  Just some thoughts.

  Esther

  PS In keeping with HL Saqra's belt weaving, I would certainly volunteer to put embroidery on neck and sleeve line, in keeping with the early period nature of t-tunics. I have wool floss GALORE I would donate to the cause, and lots of cotton, too.

Julie Cunningham <juliecunningham65 at yahoo.com> wrote:
  Everyone

In my year plus in office, I have heard that other kingdoms and baronies out there somewhere provide a newcomer with their first T-Tunic. I have questions for you.....

I like the idea, but do we simply just give it to them? Do we ask for any donation? If we do take a donation, how do we handle the money (does it go back to the hospitaler for fabric)? Or do we ask them to someday replace the item they were given? So what happens when we give out T- tunics and after one or two events we never see the newcomer again? Should this fabric money come out of baronial funds? If so, what is the budget per year? Should we have a fund raiser every year for fabric (Baronial garage sale) ? Do we have a day-long sewfest to make T-Tunics for the barony?

I would like to hear what you think.

Katheryn