[Steppes] Golden Key garb

DonnelShaw@aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Wed May 31 04:24:59 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/31/2006 2:32:56 AM Central Standard Time,
AlKudsi at aol.com writes:

Well, I can tell you that in my more than 25 years in THIS  barony, we've
never intentionally given away garb or sold it to  newcomers.  I've been
Hospitaller twice, and during my terms,  we always lent garb to newcomers for
a single
event.  Of  course, sometimes we didn't get it back.  I distinctly remember
several ladies going through their sewing rooms, and running up 4 or  5
tunics
before big events like Warlord and I've sewn on trim and  made T-tunics to
contribute, myself, when the chests were rather  empty.  I've also given the
Barony a
number of my own pieces  when I (unfortunately) could no longer fit in them
or
when I changed  from my original Norman persona to my current Middle Eastern.

This having too MUCH is sort of new problem to my  awareness.

Personally, my opinion follows much to the point that  Lady Katheryn made
earlier in that getting them sewing their own is  a good way to increase
their
interest and getting them interested in  researching various periods of time.
 If
they want to buy one  the late period outfits that are so bulky and limiting,
say let  them, but I don't think we should be getting into the costuming
business by giving costumes away.  There are a number of  merchants who sell
garb who
we would be taking bread from, as  well.

HL Saqra
She has also clothed those who only had one piece of garb and needed  another
piece for the extra day at Warlord. (I still have it!! Loved that  dress.)

What about having the matirial avalable at a newcommer sewing  day. Keep it
to a simple T-tunic and some trim. I agree that  sewing my first garb was a
right of passage. Also I believe that they need  to invest in the SCA and garb to
want to come back and play. This way we  are enableling them to be successful
but not doing it for them. They still  have to put time and effort into the
activity.

Donnel