[Steppes] Golden Key Garb

patrickandjulia@aol.com patrickandjulia at aol.com
Wed May 31 08:03:10 PDT 2006

Greetings,

While Rosenfeld does have loaner garb available for newcomers, we have adopted more of a mentoring system.  There are several of us who are more than willing to make and donate a tunic and belt to a newcomer.  Once they have their first garment to get them through a practice or meeting, then we have a little time to get them better garbed for a weekend event.  That's when we discuss persona and time period and find out what kind of garb they will be comfortable in (given the Ansteorran climate).  At that point, we assist but do not fund nor make the garments.  If the SCA is something they really want to do, then they will make the effort to clothe themselves.

The money for the fabric, trim, accessories, etc. does not come out of Shire funds; they are donated through the generosity of our shire members.

If the newcomer comes out once or twice and then never shows up again, then we do not see it as a loss.  The benefit to the group if the newcomer stays far outweighs the few dollars we lose if they don't.  Think of it as a personal investment of time and money in the future of your group.  There is always some risk...

Julia