[Steppes] my introduction to the sca

Justin Frey firerunswyld at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:08:37 PDT 2007

I was 16, walking through a public park looking for a place to sneak a
cigarette.  Enjoying the peace and quiet.  Nobody was arround.  So I
sat down, relaxed against a tree, and shut my eyes whilst chuckling to
myself about how I was rebelling against my parents and the government
by smoking.

    And then there were shouts, and thwacking sounds, and clattering,
and it grew louder.  I got up to investigate, and I see a bunch of
people wearing plastic armor and wielding foam weapons having a great
time.  They were daggerheard players.  I started hanging out with
them, and after the melee was over everybody ended up over this crazy
looking old mans house, and he had real armor!  So I started asking
questions, and learned about pennsic.

So I abandoned daggerheard in favor of the sca.

And so began the past 7 years of randomly showing up to gatherings
every week for months at a time, and then falling off the face of the
earth for 6 months to a year at a time.  I've finally got a job that's
able to support (sort of) buying armor and trvelling to events.  And
there was much rejoicing.
--
-=Justin @ Mayhem & Associates =-