[Steppes] Akon vs. Scottish festival

Maria Cabesa de Vaca casa_de_vaca at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 16 10:27:56 PDT 2007

Sorry Faelan, I had to cut most out...it was too long to include in a
reply! :)

I have heard this argument many many many times in the last several
years and every time I have to disagree....

I've been watching this thread with some interest.  I have to disagree
that we only get 4 or 5 people from these types of large demos and that
they are only there for beer and cabers.  Though most only come for
that, they stop and look at what we do and the things we make and yes
they do go home.  I know we never see a great influx of people right off
the bat but they do take our brochures home, they stick them in a "junk"
drawer and after a few months clean out their junk drawers and come
across our brochure...that's when we grab them.  It happened to me.  I
went to a couple Scottish Festivals, saw what the SCA did and just
thought "neat" and put the brochure in a junk drawer. Four years after
first seeing the SCA, I found the time to get involved in something like
this. I have been in the SCA for 7 years, I've held numerous offices
(including the current Kingdom office I hold) and have a really bad case
of helium hand. hehe

My point is this....Yes, we do see alot of people pass by our tables at
all demos and yes we do not see an immediate influx of new people, but
these demos are worth doing. We are exposing ourselves to a great number
of people at once and we have to think of ourselves as salesmen/women at
these events because that is exactly what we are doing...selling
ourselves.  We have to make ourselves appealing to people.  I can not
tell you how many demos I have gone to in the last couple of years (in
my mundane clothes) and not been greeted by those running the booth or
have seen those running the booth with their backs turned to the aisle
and chit chatting or just sitting there working on their art (I've even
see people in the corner sleeping).  This is just not good PR.  I find
this to be a big turn off and I'm in the SCA!  Wonder why the Civil War
reenactors are so successful at recruiting? Go look at their booths and
watch their volunteers sometime.  They have display boards that are eye
catching, pictures, videos and most importantly? The volunteers are not
sitting down and not behind their booths. They are in their best and
most historically correct clothing and talking to everyone that comes
close to their booth. This is why they are so successful!

We want people to be interested in us? We have to get up and go talk to
them! Tell them the good points that we have to offer (fun, learning,
friendship and place to come and experience nice and *polite* people).
If they have children, emphasize children's activities and what fun the
family can have together (let them know that unlike Scouts the entire
family can have fun at one event and at about the same cost...no not
knocking Scouts, I'm an ex Explorer member/leader, Cub Scout/Webelo
leader and Girls Scout member/leader). I am just not seeing this at demos.

Reenactment groups can be scary to talk to...we are "weird" to most
people and seem like a closed off and exclusive group.  We have to be
the ones to break that wall and make non SCA people feel comfortable
with us.

Sales men hit many doors and receive very few responses...demos are much
the same way. We have to talk to a great deal of people before we will
get a new member. Is NTIF and Scottish Fest worth doing? I say yes!!!
At every demo, we could be talking to a future peer or the parent of a
future peer!

Maria