[Steppes] My Introduction into the SCA

Crandall crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 21:01:15 PDT 2007

Think back to when rocks were soft.

Flashingquill wanted to put on a Lyonese Faire in
the same gully that the Armadillo World's Fair
was held. He lived in New Braunfels and wanted to
start a group there.
He contacted both Bryn Gwlad and Bjornsborg and
got performers, singers, fighters and others.
Then he got the strange idea to come by SWTSU in
San Marcos to talk to the theatre types and get
some help with garb from the costume shop. He
talked, he put up fliers, and I went down to see
what was up.
There were extra copies of The Blackstar that
they were selling for a buck, and I got one.
Back then, there was not a big listing of people
and offices, but they included a few event
announcements. And interesting articles.
I went to a few and had fun. Thus my fate was
sealed.
25 years later, I find I still go to events and
have fun. Where did I go wrong?

Crandall, Olde Phart

One's sense of honor is the only thing that does not grow old, and the last pleasure, when one is worn out with age, is not, as the poet said, making money, but having the respect of one's fellow men.
-Thucydides