[Steppes] my introduction to the sca

lboard2000 at tx.rr.com lboard2000 at tx.rr.com
Tue Apr 17 18:01:34 PDT 2007

I got my introduction to the SCA through a demo. I was reading the newspaper in may one day, and according to the Times Harold there was this new place out in Waxahatchie that sounded interesting. So I decided to check it out. Went down to the Faire and wandered around and had a fairly good time. Then I saw this fellow walk by in a black barrel helm. I watched him walk over and join a bunch of other folks and then they started fighting. After watching a bit I got to see a variety of arts and crafts and watch some fighting. Met some nice folks and a nice couple named Lazarus and Gwyneth answered all my silly questions. When I had to leave they gave me contact info and a flyer which I promptly lost in the car.

A little latter in the year, September I belief I found that flyer and came out to fighter practice at flagpole hill. I met a few other good folk and had a great time. Turns out there was an event the next weekend, and a couple offered me the opportunity to camp with them and even offered to help me make garb. That week I drove across Dallas to farmers branch where Arrowyn helped make my first set of clothing for the SCA and Inman and I talked about tactics and chivalry. I went to my first and finest event that weekend, The Field of the Cloth of Gold.

Despite the irregularities of work and school, moving from place to place, etc I have never quite lost touch. I still thank the folks that made that demo happen.

Bran MacNiell