[Steppes] Warlord, something to think about

AlKudsi at aol.com AlKudsi at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 11:56:58 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/23/2007 11:47:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
ladycatalina at hotmail.com writes:

We could have A&S (Artisan) going on Saturday at the same time as Rapier
Fighting. Especially if we stopped requiring that A&S contestants stay with
their display all day long.

Other than the obvious objection that those artists in our Rapier Competition
could/would not compete due to conflicting schedules, I will repeat, one of
the things that sets our Artisan apart from other Artisans and Kingdom A&S is
that we actively involve the participants in the judging.  As a competitor, I
LEARNED a lot from the judging, the questions of the judges, and the
interactions.  As a judge, I can ask essential questions about the body of work; like
when something was done, where were they in their art when they did it, what got
them interested in doing it  --- all questions that are not usually in the
documentation, and which are actively discouraged from being put into
documentation for other competitions.  It sets our competition apart, and has made it a
premier A&S competition in the kingdom.

As for running it the length of an event like Warlord, that is a security
nightmare I don't even want to consider.  As well, it ties up the hall where it
is done for all three days.  Plus a logistics nightmare for our artisans,
especially cooks like myself, who would have to prepare dishes that could be
reheated or presented on three days.  Ugh.  Do NOT want to consider that at all!

Warlord is already a marathon.  We have had, and occasionally still do have,
an A&S competition by popular vote during it, which is enough. If we end up
being swayed by our very vocal group who want to return to less "modern" sites,
there will be no secure place or ability to have Artisan at Warlord.  Why not
consider having Artisan off calendar, having some of our other Champions
chosen at it, and give up having a court where "official" awards can be given.  Why
is there such an obsession with this requirement?  Having more local events
is a better idea, where people who want to autocrat larger events can get their
feet wet on a much smaller scale is a good idea.  Having more events where we
go for a small group of activities is a good idea.  Having smaller events
where we can have some fun without having to resort to a pocket calculator to see
how much time we can spend doing anything is a good idea.

HL Saqra