[Steppes] Artisan

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 08:45:37 PDT 2007

My thoughts, in no particular order, and not necessarily useful.

  Of all the events, I think Artisan would suffer less from being an off calandar event. It _is_ a Baronial Event, and by the nature of the competition and the efforts of the participants, that Baronial Title carries GREAT weight in the eyes of the Kingdom A&S community. If the Barony supports the event by spending the money to advertise it, to get it on the website calander (yes, even non-calandar events appear there), then that Baronial Title will continue to carry the weight and prestige it currently has.

  I would prefer to see it stay a Baronial event, and allow it to keep the identity and format that it has established.

  I would like to see the Barony step up and publicize and support this event financially and with participation as IF it were a calandar event.

  If we are to add anything, I would like to see a revel after the competition is over, that is and of itself a revel by and for the attendees.

  I feel that to an Artisan, competing in Steppes Artisan is every bit as nerve-wracking, requires the same level of dedication and effort, that fighters take when they enter a list, and further, when they enter a list like Warlord, or Crown, or Queen's Champion. I feel that the artisans deserve a dedicated event, and I think that Steppes Artisan has established itself as a title to aim for, to bring yourself and your work to the attention of the entire kingdom. I think, if the money and the effort is spent by the Barony and its populace, we can keep Artisan at the level that it currently is, and possibly make it even more prestigious.

  I like the idea of regional events, but feel that it is a bad idea, to try and take an event that is established as belonging to one group within the region, such as Steppes Artisan or 12th Night, or Warlord, and turning that into a "regional" event. The other groups in the region would want to put their stamp on the event, and rightly so, which would change the event, and speaking personally for me, I feel that I would regret, and possibly resent, losing a Steppes tradition, as Elfsea might feel a tad territorial about Spring Faire, if the hypothetical situation were reversed.

  So lets do Regional events, but lets start them from scratch, rather than trying to squeeze an event we know and love into a Procrsutrean bed that no one would lie comfortably in. Let's build a regional tradition, while preserving our Baronial ones.

  So, my two pence worth.

Esther