[Steppes] Twelfth Night traditions

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 15:36:16 PDT 2007

--- Genie Barrett <ladymaggie at justinanimator.com> wrote:

> Which parts of 12th Night are traditions?

There has been a prize given for best men's and women's costume since
the 1970's.  In the late 70's or very early 80's, this was split into
best early and late period men's and women's costumes.  Upon those
occasions where there has been time/place-themed Twelfth Night, we
have also given a prize to the best theme costume.  Sometimes this is
divided men's and women's as well.

The table decorating contest is well over 20 years old as well.

We used to have a dessert/subtlety competition, but that died out
over a decade ago, for want of competitors.

In the past few years, some people have held a "feast seige weapons"
competition, but that really hasn't been around long enough to
qualify as a "tradition" except in the silliest sense of the word
("do it once, it's a revolution; do it twice, it's a tradition").

> Which traditions might be changed if this event were to become a
> regional event?

We have no way of knowing.  We might even find that combining
officially what has been combined in practice for some years now
produces new traditions that expand the fun.

Everyone seems to want to talk only about what we might potentially
stand to lose.  What about thinking about what we might realistically
expect to *gain*?

--Serena