[Steppes] [Lindenwood] An informal poll and February Populace

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Tue Feb 13 13:44:09 PST 2007

The biggest plus for Canton is that all of Warlord fits there.

Easy minimum requirements are:
A large list field,
Parking for over 600,
Camping for over 400,
A hall big enough for court,
Nearby hotel rooms for over 200, that are normally empty on a holiday
weekend.

The harder requirements are:
A safe archery range,
A big enough place for equestrian events (and the right to have horses
onsite),
the right to drink alcohol, and
enough showers for 400.

These are all minimum requirements.  If any one of them is missing, the site
is unacceptable for Warlord.

At Camp Burnett, when we built our own showers, we had about 200-300, many
of whom went home at night (since it was closer to DFW), and the site had
one shower in each bathroom.  We needed to build two extra stalls.  That
won't do any more.

I used to say that we needed a hall only on Saturday.  Last year, some
Steppes members put up the $450 for the hall on Sunday, which convinced me
that the Steppes should have a hall both days.

The advantage to Canton is that it can supply all of this.  Any other site
needs to be near a town with some large tourist attraction that is not
active on Memorial Day weekend so that there are enough hotel rooms, as well
as all the on-site amenities.  If this doesn't exist, people will day-trip,
the night-time has fewer people; they are only there for their own activity,
and the event is lessened.

I'm not particularly fond of Canton, but it meets all requirements.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin