[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 11:15:13 PST 2007

Count Gunthar,

Archery draws far more than you think. We hold some of the largest archery tournaments in the Kingdom. Our Novice tournament typically draws 30-40 individuals from all over the kingdom. We have had close to 50 at times. Our Steppes Archer contest draws 30-35, ditto we draw archers from all over the kingdom because of the quality of our shoots. The central location also makes it accessible for archers from all parts of the realm. There is a little bit of overlap, but not much, perhaps 10 at the maximum. Children's archery draws another 15-20. Some of whom may be here with their parents for other activities, but some not. 60-70 is far closer to 20% just for archery than the 5% that you mention. These figures are just for the participants in the tourneys, when you add in the families, we may be closer to 30%. Perhaps you should wander out our direction once in a while.

The showers are not always just a pleasant refreshment. I know of more people than myself that have been very close to serious heat illness and were able to avoid troubling the chiurgeons because of the cooling showers that they took. I have worked as an RN and an EMT in my adult life and am well aware of the signs and symptoms. When I feel myself getting in trouble, I head to the showers. Not all of us tolerate the heat very well. If we don't have the air conditioning and/or the showers, we will probably lose attendance. Same for the hotels. I know of several who, without the hotels, would day trip for a single day or not come at all. We are trying to increase our attendance, not reduce it.

Camping is a great thing at events, and I encourage it, but there are a lot of people who require the ability to plug in medical devices without worrying about the equipment getting damaged by rain, or disturbing their neighbors with the noise of their equipment. Others prefer getting a decent night's sleep in a cooler environment which greatly enhances their enjoyment of the event. Many of the hotelers are those who want to be assured of a safe place to sleep rather than take pot luck on camp sites if they cannot get to the site early.

You say that Warlord is about the armored championship primarily. Once upon a time, that may be true, but this is the event where ALL or our champions are chosen with the exception of A & S, not just armored. By singling out one championship, you denigrate a large number of those who participate in our fair Barony. To exclude even one member is unacceptable. We have two 'Kingdom Calendar' events per year. These have been Steppes Artisan and Warlord. Twelfth Night has gotten under the category wire because we have hosted Eisteddfodd. So when do you plan to hold the other championships of the Steppes; Archery and Equestrian? Do they not deserve Crown presence, too, or is that just for, as you called them, "stick jocks?"

"We did without them for many years," Yes, you did, but our membership has increased, our interests have grown, and a large portion of our membership is greying. Some of the things that we did at 20 are things that we can't all do at 50. Yes we need to encourage younger membership, but do we put the others out to pasture.

The vast majority that you mention would seem to include primarily the heavy and light fighters. I'm guessing that they are about 50% of the attendance anymore. I know that when the heavies migrate off site in great numbers after Steppes Champion, there is a noticeable loss, but we still manage to have a large event going for another day. The large majority stick around to enjoy the second day of the event.

I notice that you don't mention getting rid of the alcohol. There have been sites mentioned that would provide all the space we need if we didn't have alcohol on site. In the heat of late May, drinking alcohol isn't very healthy anyway.

Widen your view of what makes up this Barony, Count Gunthar. The 'minority' is much larger than you think.

Linet Grey