[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace

Esther reese_esther at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 12:38:13 PST 2007

Okay, I will throw my opinion in, saying right now, I have no solution.

  I find it exhausting that nearly everything we do, must be done on one weekend. Especially given the weather issues, it seems we aren't having an event to Play, so much as we are checking off a list. If I want to actually participate in anything -- archery, equestrain, etc. -- at Warlord, it pretty much guarantees I won't be able to see or do anything else.

  Ask Duke Miguel about the Decathalon of Warlord.

  Other events have the same issues. Everything must be done in 12 to 24 hours. As a Barony that hosts a kingdom event, Steppes has the luxury of three calandar events. Most groups don't, and their events are even more crowded and conflicting. It also tends to create people who consider themselves "diddlers" or "fiddlers", rather than people of the Steppes, because there is very little time or opportunity to do anything but their primary interest.

  An observation, and opinion, I have no solution, but it is a factor to consider. If we must do all outdoor stuff in one go, then we do have to have a venue that is Olympian it its size and variability.

  Esther

Michael Gunter <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
  >We have archery and equestrian champions, and Steppes doesn't
>hold another event that is currently configured to be able to hold
>such championships.

And I consider this to be a valid point.

>It would take a lot broader discussion to think about moving either
>of these events to 12th Night, Artisan or Fall Court.

Perhaps. But sometimes unpopular ideas at least need to be discussed
and people are too worried about bringing them up. I just don't
like the arbitrary dismissal of a site if it doesn't meet all of Master
Robin's criteria.

>I'm also not saying we might not learn something interesting by
>having that discussion. But it's a lot broader in scope. Morgan

Oh, I'm expecting interesting. :-)

And that is why I said those things. We need to discuss all issues
on a broader sense and maybe get new perspectives.

Gunthar