[Steppes] An informal poll and February Populace Or Canton & Warlord

Elizabeth Peters elizabet.peters at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 15 14:12:52 PST 2007

Good Gentles,

  I have been following this discussion with interest.  The Canton Trade Days site is large enough to safely hold all the traditional activities of Steppes Warlord.  Like many successful events,  Warlord has grown a great deal over the years and the myriad activities are, to me, one of its great "draws."  However, to me, Canton has always been a problematic site for a number of reasons.  I will try to list the positives and negatives as best I can.

Positives:

  Location -- easy access from I-20 so it is not a difficult drive from anywhere in the Central Region.
  Hotels/Motels -- a nice selection of these with reasonable rates and nice rooms
  Restaurants -- good selection with good food and reasonable rates close to the site
  Flush toilets and showers on site.  For me, the showers and running water are really good since I have some special needs that these address, even if camping.
  Paved Paths and Roadways.  With severe arthritis, this is helpful when I try to get around.  I no longer attend events held at primitive sites as I usually end up falling no matter how careful I am and then must suffer for several weeks after.  So far, this has not included hospitalization, only medication, doctor visits and physical therapy.
  Potable Water in Camping Areas.  This makes camp cooking and the sanitation issues involved much easier to deal with than those, for example, at Gulf War where access is much more limited.  When I attend an event, I want to spend as much time as I can having fun as opposed to dealing with stuff like this.
  Automobile Access.  You can drive to your site and unload your stuff to set up camp or a pavilion without having to carry it a long way.  (This is probably an issue for me due to age and infirmity.)
  List Field.  The new list field location used last year was inspired.  This area has enough elevation that it catches a breeze whenever there is one.  I also like that the activities are not as "spread out" with the merchants, fighting and hall activities close by.  This leaves the other (old list field area) with more room for equestrians and archery, etc. that require a large area for safety reasons.
Hall with Air Conditioning.  Since Warlord is held at a time of year when the temperatures can be over 100 degrees, this is an essential for me as I become quite ill if overheated.  (An age & infirmity thing again.)  If there is no area where I can at least retreat to cool off, I will be unable to attend.
  Site Staff.  The Canton site staff bends over backwards practically to help with anything any time I ask.  It is my understanding that they are equally cooperative with our event staff.  This is a very valuable positive.
  Size.  This place is large enough to handle all the activities of a typical Warlord with only minor problems.  Plenty of space for camping, fighting, merchants, bardic, etc.

  Negatives:

  Security.  Canton is really trying to work with us on this one but they cannot control the First Monday people.  Those folks will try to steal from us regardless.  However, by not letting them on site early for First Monday, this has somewhat mitigated this issue.  However, this is a huge negative for the site.
  Ambiance.  Non-existent, except after dark when all the torches are lit and the fires are going.  I know that this is a really big deal for some people; however, with the pavilions set up, the tents, pennants, etc. and the people in garb, this is at least somewhat mitigated as well.  Having the ambiance that a different site could provide would be nice.  In my experience, however, ambiance has two drawbacks: 1. impractical, and 2. expensive.  Can't we all just "play nice" on this one?
  Hall.  The acoustics are terrible.  However, almost any hall of any size has the same issue.  Most are simply not built with acoustics taken into account -- only the number of people the building can safely hold for various activities.
  Handicapped Provisions.  I cannot walk this site any more and, therefore, must use my vehicle to get from one area to another.  I know that this upsets many and each year now I am more reluctant to attend because of the negative feedback I get from doing this.  If I could walk the site, I would -- but I cannot.
  Flooding.  This has happened and is definitely an issue.  The areas for drainage on site are kept clean enough that there is adequate drainage there.  The problem is further downstream where the drainage canals are not cleaned out periodically as they need to be.  Until Canton addresses that problem ( and their ability to do this is limited for legal reasons) or the Corps of Engineers chooses to intercede and assist, this will continue to be a problem for any outdoor event held there -- not just Warlord.

  To me, the single largest negative is the security issue.  If we are to continue to use Canton for this event, we need the security issue handled once and for all.

  Since the SCA is aging, I think that many of the amenities that I consider helpful to essential at Canton bear consideration.  Also, I think that there is plenty of room for compromise in many areas.  For example, a nice site with no hall?  There are enough engineer types around that I don't see why an enclosed pavilion with a swamp cooler could not be rigged up.  Swamp coolers were used here in the South for many years before air conditioning.  Showers?  Well, these could be rigged up as well.  With 100 degree heat, a cool shower can be very refreshing.

  Let's concentrate on solving the issues we are discussing here.  There are enough of us with enough varied abilities that we can solve this.  All we have to do is listen to each other and try.

  Yours in service,

Liz and/or Fionnghuala the Fair "Nuala" and/or my evil twin, Cedric
"Few things are harder to put up than the annoyance of a good example."
           ~~~~Mark Twain~~~~