[Steppes] Feasts

Liz Wilson ewilson618 at tx.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 19:07:30 PDT 2007

OK, I don't even have a persona name yet so I am not sure that my two cents is worth much, but I would personally not have an objection to venison if the gutting, skinning, beheading, etc. had already been done prior to the site.  I love venison and have no hunters in the family, and it's very expensive if it is ever on a restaurant menu (now that I have kids I can't usually afford those types of restaurants anyway).  But I can guarantee you that if someone shows up with a bloody deer head and carcass, my 7 year old girls will probably turn into vegetarians on the spot and will be eating "period" PB & J ;)

I don't know if your feasts are done the period way or the most expedient way or if grilling out is an option at 12th Night (I guess not if it is inside), but we had some excellent chicken and burgers in foil packs at a girl scout event that I attended recently; these were grilled on a metal rack above a fire but can also be thrown right into the fire, or done in a dutch oven if you have enough dutch ovens and if foil is taboo.  These packs contained carrots, potatos and some beef or chicken broth (water and seasonings would do) to keep them moist.  Everyone fixed their own so there was the opportunity for customization (although you couldn't read the initials on some of them after they were cooked).  I'm sure they could also be steamed in a pot in a kitchen.  Making 300 or more would be a challenge, but they could also be cooked ahead, brought in a cooler with ice, and reheated.  They aren't as good that way, but I did bring some home from the girl scout event and we reheated them in our period microwave.  While not as juicy, they tasted just fine.  Throw in a salad and some fruit and  dessert you're done--you could even fix some of the veggies on the side (in advance)  for those who didn't want the meat.  I also note that these were fairly low in fat.

While I am on crutches right now and have NO experience with any SCA events, I would be more than happy to help a more experienced person with feast issues/preparing, serving, etc. for 12th Night, when I should have both feet back.  I am not a gourmet cook but I do have a lot of cooking experience.

Liz Wilson (anyone know where I can find out about Scottish names from 1000 to 1300?  I have some good info on English names but most of them are kind of boring and my family would prefer to have Scottish names)