[Steppes] Feast vs. Catering

Crystal Lamb crystl_lamb at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 21:56:19 PDT 2007

Some of my favorite memories of Twelfth Night and Artisan involve food (and ceremonies *grin*).  I worked in the kitchen at my first event in the Steppes.  I can't imagine a Twelfth Night without Serena's plate of Turkish Delights (the only time I ever see them, much less think about eating them).  My favorite Artisan memory was the pot luck we pulled together at the last minute.  I still miss Lasair's table of goodies.

  Then there was the Feast of Three Putties (tm).....and the frozen chickens the year we held Twelfth Night at the State Fair.

  The common thread is that we're talking about memories.  There will always be problems with finding a site, inadequate kitchens and feasts that should have advised you to bring a spackling tool just to eat.  When I think back over fifteen or so years (minus a few for real life), that's always been the case with events.  What's so different now?  Have we become too comfortable with making it easier or wanting a "sure thing?"

  I'd be lieing to you if I said I wouldn't appreciate a "sure thing" every time feast wise.  However, I wouldn't trade candelight food discernment or defrosting my fingers by a bathroom space heater due to frozen chickens for anything.  When you begin to substitute Sonny Bryan's for Gunthar's pastries and Lasair's cookies, you give away that which makes us unique.

  Additionally, I would certainly think that (thanks to ADA requirements) those with special dietary needs should be allowed to bring appropriate foods to the event.

  Just my two cents from way down here.

  ~Aslyn