[Steppes] Feast vs. Catering

Liz elizabet.peters at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 17:47:13 PDT 2007

Reply below.

Esther <reese_esther at yahoo.com> wrote:    As a type 2 diabetic, who is controlling it with pills and diet, I, too really need to be able to bring my own food, or get together with other friends of similar state, to share our own potluck.  It's crushing, since honey and sugar are the foundation of so many delicious sauces, and showy dishes. For me, that means no rice, no carrots, no peas, either, and very light on the legumes, please. Also, usually no bread.    Thanks for bringin this up, Your Excellency.  Esther
Diane Rudin wrote:
I'd like to address another aspect of this issue, aside from the
perfectly valid ones of cost and period atmosphere.

I know people who are on various sorts of restrictive diets --
diabetic, heart disease, allergies, etc. -- who currently cannot eat
SCA feasts, and bring their own food to the event, including myself.
(This last Twelfth Night was the first in a while where I was able to
eat the feast.) If we were to have Twelfth Night at a site that
required us to use their catering, that does not allow in outside
food, it would reduce the number of people able to attend Twelfth
Night, including myself, because we would no longer be able to bring
in food that we can actually eat. (SNIP!)Just something else to consider.    --Serena
  I agree with these comments.  While I have enjoyed (translation: eaten wwaaayyyy too much) at SCA feasts, this is no longer a practical option for either my husband or myself.  There are so many foods that I can simply no longer indulge in without being ill for three days to a week (This is gonna be so good and I'm gonna be so sick.) and with my husband's diabetes, he must eat by a certain time and a feast delayed by an hour (it happens) can have a real detrimental effect on his diabetes. So, for the past few years, we, along with our friends who have similar problems, have brought a cooperative cold feast for Twelfth Night.  None of us has become ill, we have been able to eat supper on a timely basis, and, overall, it has worked out very well.

  This has enabled us to attend this event and, had this not been possible, we, like many, would have been forced to give Twefth Night a "pass."  As our membership ages, this problem will only continue to increase in scale and we, as a group, need to figure out a way to address it.  I'm sure that with our combined brain power and ingenuity (we're in the SCA, after all), this problem can be handled in a way that works for most of us.

  YIS,

Liz and/or Fionnghuala the Fair "Nuala" and/or my evil twin, Cedric
  "Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them."
       ~~ Flannery O'Connor ~~